Thursday, January 7, 2016

Sense of Place

I live in LaBelle, FL.  It is very peaceful here and a very small, quite town.  I am from Louisville, KY so living here for three years has definitely been different from city life.  I have learned to adjust and come to love and appreciate the peacefulness in LaBelle.

My home is on a street that has no sidewalks anywhere near us.  The houses are pretty far apart and I only know two of my neighbors.  It's not really safe to walk a lot on the road because people tend to drive way too fast like a "back country road."  I do however have a nice yard with very large, old and beautiful trees all over the place.  Some of the trees are palm but most are oak.  My back yard backs up to several acres of cow pasture so that adds to the quite as well.

                 


My favorite place is my front porch (when there aren't any mosquitoes out) because I can sit on the swing with my husband or kids and talk or just sit quietly and enjoy the sounds of nature all around.  Squirrels are always running around and there are lots of birds in the trees.  My kids love watching the lizards the most I am sure, but I could do without those!



Even though I was born and raised in Kentucky and spent most of my life there, I feel Florida is "home" to me.  The weather offers me the opportunity to do all the things I love like fishing and beach activities and I grew up without much family so having my husband's family here and with us a lot  is a wonderful experience.

 
 
 I still visit Kentucky and love the different feel, but LaBelle is now my home.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment