Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Journal Two Field Trip– Urban Fort Myers

While this was not my first time being downtown I did notice things this time that I had not noticed before.  After discussing in class the way some cities make their urban areas more appealing to people and the differences in traffic with narrow streets versus wider ones, I noticed how the roads downtown were narrow and made more for pedestrian usage than vehicles.  I also noticed that the building all look historic, even new ones as they tried to keep with the same feel and architecture.  I knew there were restaurants and little shops in the area but wasn't aware that there were no chains like McDonald's (with the exception of Starbucks which is considered a higher end chain).  I was also not aware of what the storm retention basin was for and how it was used.  Our guide explained these things to us along with some history of the area and told us that the brick that was used to pave the roads and side areas were actually recycled from the buildings that were tore down previously.  I loved that the material was reused!

Our guide was very helpful and had a plethora of knowledge for us.  I was particularly impressed with the history information he was able to give us about the tribute statue of an African American soldier.  This monument is a non-commissioned officer and is the only monument in FL dedicated to the African American troops who served during the Civil War. 

 
 
I did think the experience could have been better.  If I were being honest, it may have been better to have smaller groups (either pairs or groups of no more than 3) because we couldn't all talk to each other much to discuss things and/or there wasn't enough time for us all to ask the guide questions or we wouldn't be able to see everything (which we didn't).  Also, unfortunately we had a group member that was pretty rude and kept interrupting, leaving the group, was just asking for the answers to the sheet instead of going to the place to see it and more (I won't name names as I am not trying to get anyone in trouble, just an opinion and observation from someone actually trying to learn things).

I still enjoyed the experience and our guide.  I have actually looked up some of the information we didn't get to so I can take my kids down again armed with some fun facts!

No comments:

Post a Comment