Thursday, February 18, 2016

Journal 3, Fied Trip to Koreshan

This week we went to Koreshan State Park.  I had never been there before and actually I am not sure I had heard of it previously, but I am still pretty new to the area.  I thought it was just a nature park that had some trails and canoes to rent.  I haven't been feeling well so I wasn't exactly looking forward to this trip. 

When we arrived and met our guide, it did seem like it was going to be more of a nature focus.  That quickly changed though when our guide was asked to explain the history behind the Koreshan.  I had no idea that it was a short lived religion or that the land and such was donated by the last living 'believer'.  This had my attention and I liked hearing about how it all started, how they carved out their lives in the total wilderness y themselves and how things were done very different from the time (such as women having a big role in the settlement).


The story behind how Dr. Teed got the land from Damkohler was also interesting, more so the mysterious way that most of his family was killed.  It reminded me of the old murder stories I watch on the History Channel about people like Lizzie Borden.  


Dr. Teed's beliefs in religion and the earth were strange to say the least, but he apparently got a decent group of people to believe in him and work to make his compound (for lack of a better term) grow and thrive for a while.  Upon his death the religion faded as fast as it had started but left behind a very interesting story for future generations.


I may not have felt well but I am glad I got to go to Koreshan and learn about the history surrounding the site and the people who made it possible.  I learned a lot about how the area came to be and it is a  piece of history that shouldn't be ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment